Go to main navigation
90 North 100 E, P.O. Box 888, Provo, UT 84603
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT US 801-373-8848 801-373-8848


How to Obtain Social Security Disability Benefits for Disabled Adult Children

Utah attorneys help you get compensation

If you have a disabled adult child, you may be able to obtain Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits. However, understanding the many provisions of SSD law can be difficult. We at Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C. are here to guide you through the various forms and legal work that must be completed in order for you to start collecting benefits. In addition, we have extensive experience assisting clients who have their claims denied by the Social Security Administration (SSA) for a variety of reasons. We are here to assist you at every stage of your disabled adult child claim — from filing to appealing a denial.

Qualifying as a disabled adult child

By qualifying under the SSA’s definition of a disabled adult child, you can receive monthly payments from SSD insurance. Below are the criteria used to determine if you are a disabled adult child by the SSA:

  • You are over 18 years of age
  • You are not married
  • You currently have a disability that started before you turned 22 years of age
  • Your mother or father receives Social Security benefits or is deceased and at the time of death was receiving benefits

The SSA’s definition of disability

It is important to realize that the Social Security Administration is extremely strict when determining if a person is truly disabled. In order for you or your adult child to receive benefits from SSD, you must be able to prove that he or she meets the following definition of disability:

  • Your condition is expected to last 12 months or more or is expected to result in your death
  • As a result of your disability, or treatment of your disability, you are unable to perform a substantial level of work

You should also understand that, in some cases, your adult child may work if he or she would like to, but without help, it is difficult to know what work may disqualify your child from receiving benefits. If you have trouble obtaining SSD or SSI benefits for your disabled adult child, let our compassionate and hard-working lawyers review your case and offer you skilled guidance.

Experienced SSD attorneys provide you with trusted advice

At Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C., we have been helping clients with complicated legal matters since 1957. Let our knowledgeable legal team answer your questions and advise you on the best course of action for your unique situation. To speak to one of our experienced attorneys, please contact us today by phone at 801-373-8848 or via our online form. We have flexible hours, free parking and are located two blocks from the Provo courthouse and one block from the new Latter-Day Saints Historic Provo Temple.