Go to main navigation
90 North 100 E, P.O. Box 888, Provo, UT 84603
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT US 801-373-8848 801-373-8848


Experienced Lawyers Provide Reliable Advice on Guardianships and Conservatorships

Dedicated to serving the needs of Utah residents since 1957

When someone you love becomes mentally or physically incapacitated and can no longer make legal and financial decisions regarding his or her welfare, you may need to establish a conservatorship. Since Utah conservatorships may require lengthy paperwork, multiple court appearances and detailed records, it is wise to seek advice from a knowledgeable attorney.

We at Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C. have more than 175 years of combined experience assisting clients with guardianships and conservatorships. Our lawyers can provide you with sympathetic counsel and help you to easily understand the procedures involved in looking after your loved one.

Difference between a conservatorship and a guardianship

Typically, guardianships are sought for children whose parents are unable to care for them. A guardian can make decisions regarding a person’s affairs and medical treatment and where he or she resides. Conservatorships are often established for incapacitated adults suffering from dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, stroke-related neurological damage or other incapacitating illnesses and injuries. A conservator is usually in charge of making financial decisions for a disabled individual.

When is a conservatorship needed?

In the state of Utah, a conservatorship is often needed when a person is incapable of managing his or her financial and legal affairs. In addition to dementia and other mental illnesses, a conservatorship may be sought if your loved one has a chronic drug habit or is detained by a foreign power. You may petition the court to appoint a conservatorship if you are the parent, guardian or custodian of the individual who has become incapacitated.

Additionally, you may act as both the guardian and conservator of your loved one. Yet, ultimately, the court decides whether a person may be granted such powers over the incapacitated person — and only a person who will act in the best interests of the ward may be granted a conservatorship. If you need to be appointed the conservator of a loved one, our guardianship lawyers at Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C. can petition the court on your behalf.

Guiding Utah residents in guardianship and conservatorship matters

We at Jeffs & Jeffs, P.C. work tirelessly to help clients who are seeking a conservatorship for a disabled loved one. To speak to one of our experienced attorneys, please contact us today by phone at 801-373-8848 or via our online form. We have flexible hours, free parking and are located two blocks from the Provo courthouse and one block from the new Latter-Day Saints Historic Provo Temple.